The Rottnest Channel Swim Association conducts the annual Virtual South32 Rottnest Channel Swim (VRCS) in various swimming pools across Australia and internationally. The VRCS will be held on the same day as the South32 Rottnest Channel Swim.
The VRCS is ideal for swimmers who:
- Can’t attend the actual day
- Don’t wish to compete in the ocean, but enjoy distance swimming
- Couldn’t get a boat, or
- Missed out on registering.
Registrations for the 2022 Virtual Rottnest Channel Swim open on Monday, 22 November 2021 at 9am.
There are two separate events and an accrued distance:
- The 20km Individual/Team Event for the serious swimmers – Individuals, duos or teams of four can compete in this event. An individual swim is open to all swimmers over the age of 14 years, and the team event is open to all swimmers over the age of 10 years as at the day of Saturday, 26 February 2022.
- The 20km Novelty Event for the more social swimmers – Maximum team size is 10 with the swim open to all over the age of 10 years as at the day of Saturday, 26 February 2022.
The swim will be conducted in your local pool and a distance of 20km will be swum. The 2022 VRCS will commence between 6.45am and 8.00am and finish no later than 6.00pm. The pool manager/event organiser will conduct the race briefing 15 minutes prior to the start.
- Accrued 20km distance between 15 January 2022 and 26 February 2022 – Individuals over the age of 14 years may accrue the 20km distance over a six-week period between Saturday, 15 January 2022 to Saturday, 26 February 2022. You can only choose this option if your local pool has agreed to manage this.
The VRCS requires a lead contact for each individual pool or local clubs. If you are interested in organising a VRCS at your local pool, in conjunction with the South32 Rottnest Channel Swim, complete the below EOI prior to 3 December to join in the fun!