The event categories for competitors in the South32 Rottnest Channel Swim are:
- Solo – 1 x Swimmer, 1 x Support Boat (1x Paddler strongly recommended)
- Champions of the Channel – the elite solo wave (1 x Swimmer, 1 x Support Boat)
- Tandem Solo – 2 x Solo Swimmers sharing, 1 x Support Boat, 2x Paddlers
- Duo – Teams of 2 (1x Paddler strongly recommended)
- Team – Teams of 4 (1x Paddler strongly recommended)
- Lavan Charity Challenge – Teams of 4 (1x Paddler strongly recommended)
Champions of the Channel
Champions of the Channel is an elite wave of invited soloists.
If you want to enter the Champions of the Channel, express your interest by emailing email@example.com before Sunday, 30 October, 2022.
Expected 10km qualifying times for those looking to enter Champions of the Channel are:
- 1 hour 58 minutes for males
- 2 hours 8 minutes for females.
In the event that a previous Rottnest Channel Swim is used as a qualifier, the times required would be 4 hours 20 minutes for male and 4 hours 45 minutes for females (consideration is given in relation to the weather conditions the crossing was completed in).
Where there are not ten (10) male and ten (10) female champion qualifiers, the RCSA, at their discretion, can elevate swimmers from the general swimmer wave.
To have the best chance of being in the Champions wave, it is also recommended that you complete a qualifying swim before registering (this is a 10km+ swim or a Rottnest Channel Swim crossing in the last two years) and provide the time in your expression of interest or as part of your registration. You will still need to complete a qualifying swim during the qualifying period (or have completed a Rottnest Channel crossing in the last two years).
Successful Champions of the Channel applicants will be contacted directly.
Duos and Teams
Duos and teams are automatically categorised by the total age of everyone in each duo/team. The categories are as follows for male, female and mixed.
Mixed teams must have a minimum of two female members. For results purposes, teams with three males and one female will be recorded as a ‘male team’.
Lavan Charity Challenge
The South32 Rottnest Channel Swim includes 30 places for this exclusive category. This category not only gives you the best opportunity for your corporate group or team of passionate swimmers to fundraise for charity but also provides the ultimate benefit – guaranteed entry into the South32 Rottnest Channel Swim!
Teams who enter the Lavan Charity Challenge receive the following benefits:
- A separate evening briefing including drinks and canapes at Lavan
- An official Rottnest Channel Swim Merchandise Pack for each swimmer
- A donation made on your behalf to the charity of your choice
- A place to compete for the Lavan Charity Challenge Cup.
30 places are available during solo week, which opens 8:30am, Monday, 24 October 2022 (AWST).
Teams in this category are exclusively competing for the Lavan Charity Challenge Cup only. This means teams in this category aren’t eligible for regular team category prizes, including overall prizes and age group category merchandise prizes, regardless of their overall/age group finishing position.