Overnight boat mooring at Rottnest - any advice?

Any general discussion related to the swim.Any general discussion related to the swim.
dc1960ccfc

Overnight boat mooring at Rottnest - any advice?

Post by dc1960ccfc »

We now plan to stay overnight at Rottnest after the race but unfortunately there are no boat pens or beach or other moorings available.

Not knowing Rottnest, could someone please advise me what other options are available?
  • Is there likely to be space to moor on the beach outside of the pre-bookable mooring points?

Worse case, could we just drop anchor in the harbour if needs be?

Ideally we want to be in Thomson Bay but is it possible/necessary to go round to another bay?

Anything else we need to consider?
Also, because it is an early start to get out for the first wave of swimmers, I thought about launching on the Friday night and then berthing up overnight in a hired boat pen at Hillarys. I am assuming this would make it easier on the Saturday morning. Do you think this is practical and can you pre-book overnight pens at Hillarys (are they likely to be available)? If so, who do I contact?

Many thanks.
JRSM64

Re: Overnight boat mooring at Rottnest - any advice?

Post by JRSM64 »

There are a few options for anchorage at Rottnest including a spot in Thompson Bay between the Army Jetty and Natural Jetty. You can drop an anchor here and you will be safe.

Also, there is always space in the Longreach bay anchorage although it is not as convenient to the pub.
tsmal2001

Post by tsmal2001 »

There is anchorage in Thompson bay but the bay will be very full so you will end up being right down by the ammo jetty which is a fair hike to the pub. Also it is a pretty soft bottom to anchor on so put out 2 anchors. There will be plenty of rangers around so ask them regarding anchoring , some times they allow you to anchor north of the main jetty.
As for putting your boat in on Friday remember there are over 1000 boats doing this so overnight pens are gone. Go to the ramp early (4am ) and join the party .everyone is in the same boat (excuse the pun) and it can be a mad house because of the lack of ramps.
One idea is go and spend the night at Rotto ,it is only 20 minutes to get to the start from there and you miss the crowds. Good luck
biggles

Post by biggles »

I'm by no means an expert on this but since nobody else has replied this is what I do know from my experience.
dc1960ccfc wrote:>> We now plan to stay overnight at Rottnest after the race but unfortunately there are no boat pens or beach or other moorings available.

>> Not knowing Rottnest, could someone please advise me what other options are available?
  • >> Is there likely to be space to moor on the beach outside of the pre-bookable mooring points?
    If you arrive early there will probably be beach space somewhere in Thomson bay, either North or South but you will have to be very lucky later in the day.

>> Worse case, could we just drop anchor in the harbour if needs be?
    This is the best option. Most people who stay the night at Rottnest just anchor in Thomson bay South.

>> Ideally we want to be in Thomson Bay but is it possible/necessary to go round to another bay?

>> Anything else we need to consider?
>> Also, because it is an early start to get out for the first wave of swimmers, I thought about launching on the Friday night and then berthing up overnight in a hired boat pen at Hillarys. I am assuming this would make it easier on the Saturday morning. Do you think this is practical and can you pre-book overnight pens at Hillarys (are they likely to be available)? If so, who do I contact?
I don't know about pens at Hillarys but I'm pretty sure that one year my skipper launched at East Fremantle and tied up in the river overnight before heading out in the morning. Alternatively, since the distance is about the same, you could head over to Rottnest on Friday and anchor in Thomson bay for the night. I have friends who do that but they book their accommodation for Friday night and don't have to sleep on their boat.

>> Many thanks.
Has been Paralympian, sometimes open
water swimmer and tri-hard triathlete.
harvey23

Post by harvey23 »

The vessels can be applied which should not greater than 6.75m in length if it is to tie up to a primary vessel on a mooring. There are ongestion and manoeuvrability issues within moorings areas.